Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:25 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
Headed out to Charlestown RI with the family in tow yesterday including Sam. When we arrived at the park entrance, the lady told us no dogs are allowed w/o a camping permit. WTF! I have been to the same place several times with Sam in the past and no one said boo about it. So I had to do some quick thinking and came up with a plan to ditch Beck/Jack/Sam in the parking lot while I headed in with Max, got him signed up and staged and set him off on the race. I then scrambled back and took the the outcasts to a little trail off the side of the park and had them hike in.

Safe inside the park finally, we ran into plenty of similar dog stories with lots of pooches running around. Max proceeded to run up front with another boy a few years older than him until the boy flatted. This left Max all alone up front and he started picking off some other novice riders including a few clydesdales who left a few minuted before Max. When I asked Max about the course, he said he cleaned all the logs which were pretty formidable. I know a few adults who had trouble with them so he was rocking the course. Max ended up first in his class and the 2nd place rider came over and very politely congratulated him on his win. You don't see that happen in MX very often!

I lined up with 10 other Cat1 Masters for a 5 lap/27mile blast thru some fun trails. The start was pavement so I locked out my fork and put the Les in a big gear for the start sprint. The 1st 200 yards was pavement followed quickly by a dry culvert with one good line 4 inches wide. I wanted to hit that culvert first so I hammered the start and pulled the holeshot. Good thing too cause the 2nd place guy missed the line and cleaned out a bunch of guys. i heard the noise and looked back and saw bikes and dust flying everywhere. OK, guess I can try and put some gap in now. A short while later one guy came screaming up behind me and shortly after that another guy did too. Now we had a 3 man freight train blasting thru the woods. The course was mainly flat, smooth single track with some open double track sections, a couple short climbs, two longer climbs (by RI coast standards) and one fairly tech section along a ridge. Overall, it was very fast which you could moto at reckless speeds. We started blowing past all kinds of riders but everytime I tried to put a gap on these guys they would quickly reel me back in. Oh boy, this was not working out like I hoped. After a lap or so, one of the two disappeared, I found out later he crash on the techy section and broke his scapular (and caused the pileup at the beginning). He is a super strong rider but I heard he is mostly a cross/roadie guy so it looks like he needs to work on his bike handing skills.

For 2.5 laps I pulled the remaining guy along until he made his move on a flat piece of cartroad. I grabbed a quick drink and some gel and jumped on his wheel but the pace was starting to take its toll and soon after I lost his wheel. Oh well, I lasted about 1/2 hr longer out front than the last race so I'll use this to build on. For the next lap I kept on passing riders I would have never expected to catch so this kept me motivated. Coming into the start of the 4th lap, I caught Modigs wheel so we chatted and then I moved past him. I guess this helped wake Jon up as he was leading and all by himself. For the next lap I pulled but the pace was really starting to wear me down. I think Jon could sense this so as we started the last lap he offered to pull which I gladly accepted. This really helped ease the burn of 22 miles of race pace. It was great to hang with Jon on the last two laps, he looked good on his Scalple and his riding was solid. We gunned it at the end and he got my by a couple of bike lengths. Man I was glad when we finished, my legs were pretty cooked.

Jon ended 1st in the 19-29 Cat 1 and I got second in the Masters cat 1. Great race and super fun day overall. we ended up at a Mexican place and I went mental on Taco's, Modello Negro and ice cream when we got home> 8-)

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:20 pm 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
LIV2RYD wrote:
Headed out to Charlestown RI with the family in tow yesterday including Sam. When we arrived at the park entrance, the lady told us no dogs are allowed w/o a camping permit. WTF! I have been to the same place several times with Sam in the past and no one said boo about it. So I had to do some quick thinking and came up with a plan to ditch Beck/Jack/Sam in the parking lot while I headed in with Max, got him signed up and staged and set him off on the race. I then scrambled back and took the the outcasts to a little trail off the side of the park and had them hike in.

Safe inside the park finally, we ran into plenty of similar dog stories with lots of pooches running around. Max proceeded to run up front with another boy a few years older than him until the boy flatted. This left Max all alone up front and he started picking off some other novice riders including a few clydesdales who left a few minuted before Max. When I asked Max about the course, he said he cleaned all the logs which were pretty formidable. I know a few adults who had trouble with them so he was rocking the course. Max ended up first in his class and the 2nd place rider came over and very politely congratulated him on his win. You don't see that happen in MX very often!

I lined up with 10 other Cat1 Masters for a 5 lap/27mile blast thru some fun trails. The start was pavement so I locked out my fork and put the Les in a big gear for the start sprint. The 1st 200 yards was pavement followed quickly by a dry culvert with one good line 4 inches wide. I wanted to hit that culvert first so I hammered the start and pulled the holeshot. Good thing too cause the 2nd place guy missed the line and cleaned out a bunch of guys. i heard the noise and looked back and saw bikes and dust flying everywhere. OK, guess I can try and put some gap in now. A short while later one guy came screaming up behind me and shortly after that another guy did too. Now we had a 3 man freight train blasting thru the woods. The course was mainly flat, smooth single track with some open double track sections, a couple short climbs, two longer climbs (by RI coast standards) and one fairly tech section along a ridge. Overall, it was very fast which you could moto at reckless speeds. We started blowing past all kinds of riders but everytime I tried to put a gap on these guys they would quickly reel me back in. Oh boy, this was not working out like I hoped. After a lap or so, one of the two disappeared, I found out later he crash on the techy section and broke his scapular (and caused the pileup at the beginning). He is a super strong rider but I heard he is mostly a cross/roadie guy so it looks like he needs to work on his bike handing skills.

For 2.5 laps I pulled the remaining guy along until he made his move on a flat piece of cartroad. I grabbed a quick drink and some gel and jumped on his wheel but the pace was starting to take its toll and soon after I lost his wheel. Oh well, I lasted about 1/2 hr longer out front than the last race so I'll use this to build on. For the next lap I kept on passing riders I would have never expected to catch so this kept me motivated. Coming into the start of the 4th lap, I caught Modigs wheel so we chatted and then I moved past him. I guess this helped wake Jon up as he was leading and all by himself. For the next lap I pulled but the pace was really starting to wear me down. I think Jon could sense this so as we started the last lap he offered to pull which I gladly accepted. This really helped ease the burn of 22 miles of race pace. It was great to hang with Jon on the last two laps, he looked good on his Scalple and his riding was solid. We gunned it at the end and he got my by a couple of bike lengths. Man I was glad when we finished, my legs were pretty cooked.

Jon ended 1st in the 19-29 Cat 1 and I got second in the Masters cat 1. Great race and super fun day overall. we ended up at a Mexican place and I went mental on Taco's, Modello Negro and ice cream when we got home> 8-)

Great write up Jon and congrats to all on super finishes.
TP,

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 am 

Well done! Besides Max doing so well the best part of this story is you and Modigity working together and finished strong. Nothing like having the motivation of a team member next to you. Years ago I was running in the final leg of the Greenway Challenge and Laura rode on her bike next to me telling me to run faster and try harder. Although she said she'd knock down anyone catching me from behind, I think she tossed in a few "I'm better than you comments" which was not only true but helped me push. :) I'm sure you two did much of the same. Great stuff.

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews